Welcome to Boroughbridge 98 Lions
Who we are….
Boroughbridge Lions are a group of men and women living in and around Boroughbridge who wish to give something back to the community by supporting local people and organisations.
There are over 48,000 Lions clubs around the world which are also members of Lions Clubs International, the world’s largest service organisation with 1.4 million members serving in more than 180 countries. The association is non-political and non-sectarian.
We meet up at 7.30pm on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at The Crown Hotel, Boroughbridge. Meetings usually last about 90mins.
We need new members to keep the club going so if you would you like to do something worthwhile in the community, meet new friends and have some fun please come along – anyone aged 18 and over would be more than welcome.
We really appreciate all the help we get from volunteers for our events such as Boroughbridge Guides, Boroughbridge Scouts, the Young Farmers and our friends and families – their help is invaluable:
What we do….
Father Christmas & his Sleigh:
You may be aware that every December we accompany Father Christmas and his sleigh as he visits Boroughbridge and the surrounding villages. This is our biggest fund raising activity of the year.
Family Cycle Day:
We organise an annual Family Cycle Day which is usually held in June. This event attracts many participants who cycle from Boroughbridge to Great Ouseburn and back.
We run tombolas on Christmas Shopping night in Boroughbridge at the Aldborough & Boroughbridge show and help organise the Duck Race at the Grantham Fest. We receive a huge amount of sponsorship and raffle prizes etc from the local businesses/shops – we are very grateful for all their support.
We organise several social events throughout the year in the local restaurants and pubs.
We help other other organisations by:
- Marshalling at their events such as the Knaresborough Bed Race, Great Yorkshire Bike Ride, Boroughbridge Ghost Walk
- Holding music and bingo sessions in local Nursing Homes
- Helping distribute food parcels for Bread of Life Ripon Foodbank
- Supporting charities on their collection days eg Marie Curie, CLIC Sargent
The majority of monies raised by the Club are put back into our local community to help deserving individuals, families, clubs and organisations. These are some we have helped:
- Various Boroughbridge ‘Families in need’
- Boroughbridge Disability football club
- Student from Aldbrough helping disadvantaged children in Samoa during his gap year
- Boroughbridge Feathers Badminton club
- Shaun Lee Johnstone Fund
- Boroughbridge Community Care
- Boroughbridge High School
- Boroughbridge Primary school
- Boroughbridge Bowling Club
- Bread of Life Food Bank, Ripon
- Marton cum Grafton Church
- Royal British Legion, Boroughbridge
- Boroughbridge Scouts
- Swaledale Flood Fund
- “I Choose Life Foundation” which helps raise awareness of mental health issues
- Helping with disaster relief at home and overseas, however, we ensure that 80% of our funds are spent locally
We are always looking for new ways to help local people and community groups.
We really appreciate all the help we get from volunteers for our events but we need new members to keep the club going. To find out more about our club please:
Fill in the contact form or ring
Paul Bullivant on 07836 707274